254 Prospect is a quaint, older home with mostly sunny, large, unique rooms, housing 16 students. The ground-level communal kitchen contributes to the “family” atmosphere that is a continuing source of its appeal. The eat-in kitchen has cupboards for food and kitchenware storage, a pantry area, stove and oven units, microwave, toaster, and other various shared appliances. Residents provide their own dishes, pots, and pans. Full-sized refrigerators in the adjoining hall are shared by two residents each and cleaned by students themselves throughout the year. All residents must participate in full-kitchen cleaning duties a few times each semester.
Elevator Access, Shared Bathrooms, and Furniture
- There are 16 student rooms located on the first, second, and third floors of 254 Prospect Street. There are no bedrooms in the basement.
- There is no elevator access to the upper floors in the building.
- Rooms have standard University-provided bedroom furniture: extra-long twin-sized bed frame and mattress, desk and desk chair, three-drawer dresser, bookshelf, sitting chair, built-in closet, or a wardrobe unit for clothing.
- There are four coed personal-sized bathrooms that students share.
- Most rooms are carpeted.
- Rooms have various-size windows with mini-blinds or pull-down shades.
Internet Access, Cable TV, and Mail/Package Delivery
- Rooms in 254 Prospect Street are provided with an Internet port, cable TV port, and telephone port. Students must activate the telephone port (via Yale University Telecom services) to use the landline telephone system. There is a separate charge for use of the telephone (and long-distance charges) but no additional charges for accessing the Internet or cable TV. Students accessing the Yale network must register their computers at www.yale.edu/netreg for full use of the Internet.
- All of 254 Prospect Street is on the University’s wireless network for student convenience!
- Students can receive mail directly at 254 Prospect Street. Mail is delivered directly by the U.S. Postal Service. Mail is sorted into unlocked student mailboxes by the Resident Coordinator staff. Package deliveries can also be received at the residence.
- Students have access to an attic storage area, basement laundry room, computer room (at 276 Prospect Street). An entry-level common room is a comfortable place for quiet study and dorm meetings, and a ground-floor-level common room has a TV, DVD player, and XBox game system. There is also a picnic table and grill in the small backyard for student use.
Security Access for Residential Areas
- For security purposes, the front door of 254 Prospect Street is a locked door. Students need a valid, programmed Yale ID card to access the building and a key to open their bedroom door.
|Student Room Sizes, approximate dimensions:|
|3 Medium||10’x10’- on average, 150sq ft|
|1 Large||11’x12’ - 170sq ft|
|7 Extra-Large||12’x14’ - on average, 200sq ft|
|4 Special||250sq ft or larger, sometimes with personal sink|
Floor Plans and 360 Virtual Tours
These are sample floor plans only. Each dormitory room may vary in floor plan and size.
Basement Living Room (1)